- My latest doctrinal obsession is the non-biblicality of Calvinism (determinism) so my radar is especially attuned to looking for examples where this heresy is contradicted–and there is a fairly clear example in Gen 4. Here is what God says to Cain prior to him murdering Abel:
Then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7 If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it.
I see in this passage God’s desire that Cain not sin–God did not determine that Cain would sin, He is activity trying to prevent him from sinning by warning him. God hates sin, He knows the damage it does. Calvinism preaches that God is glorified by his wisdom in bringing about evil and then punishing evil. It teaches that there is no freewill, that all is pre-determined by God, both good and evil. This is not what I see in the Bible.
Here is an example of God appealing to Cain’s freewill to not go through with his murderous desire. Does God know ahead of time what is going to happen? Of course. God sees the end from the beginning, is outside of time, created time. But nonetheless we still have freewill and God cares enough about Cain to warn Him.
We have a loving God; He loves the entire world and every person in the world, not just the “chosen”.
- In Gen 5:1-2 there’s a third, albeit shortened creation account.
- The very long lifespans of anti-deluvian persons are gradually shortening; sin is taking its toll.
- In Gen 6 I am going to have to interpret “sons of God” really just to mean humans–sorry to those who see more than that in this passage. Look at this passage in Romans 8, for instance:
For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.
We all agree (I hope) that is talking about those people who are born again, just humans.
- There is evidence of the Trinity all over the Bible, including in Gen 6:
Then YHWH said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh
- Gen 7, the Flood. Both the vapor canopy comes crashing down and volcanoes begin spewing vast amounts of subterranean water. Even today most of what comes out of volcanoes is water vapor, not lava.